Thursday, February 21, 2013

2 servings a day

I don't know why, I just am not much of a fruit person.  Love vegetables but I've really got to work at it to just get one serving of fruit a day.  I never much cared...but there is nothing like having children around to make you want to change your bad habits! They have the annoying tendency to do what you do, not what you say.
I'm working on upping my fruit intake and making it more of my everyday diet. The health benefits of fruit are many; it provides fiber, reduces the risk of heart disease, some cancers, and high blood pressure. But mostly, snacking on fruit is a habit I want my children to develop again-and it is up to me to set the example. Now that they are older, this momma has let the junky food creep into the house a little too much. As Cookie Monster says, "Cookies are a sometimes food."
I'm a snacker and frequently snack on tortilla chips, cookies, nuts, dried cereal, etc. I know there are better choices, but it's just so convenient (and yummy)! Now I keep a bowl of fruit out on the table, couldn't be more convenient.
The simple move of getting the fruit out of the frig and putting it out where we can see it has worked well for the girls.  Um, momma still needs to keep her hand out of the Veggie Booty bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment